Thursday, March 10, 2016

22 for 22 Shedding Light on Veteran Suicide

So, earlier this week I was nominated by my friend and fellow brother in arms Dan Roloff to do 22 push ups a day for 22 days to call attention the fact that 22 veteran brothers and sisters kill themselves every day. His message was simple, if you are hurting, please reach out to someone and do not leave the incredible void in the lives of your friends and loved ones that this action will cause. There are people like he and I who will listen if you reach out. I am starting mine right now and will be following through with my 22 of 22.

Unfortunately, I experienced one of my best friends and fishing partners following through with this act a little over a year ago and to this day, I am struggling to come to terms with his leaving. I miss him and have not felt like the grieving process has even begun. This small action will bring light to this issue and will hopefully catch on and many people will do the 22 for 22 so that maybe our veteran brothers and sisters will stay around a while. I also hope that this will give me a sense of doing something to honor my friends memory, and maybe in some way will help me process through this in my own life.

Thanks Dan, you are a true brother even though we do not see each other any more, I feel connected to you in a very special way! Well here it goes. Thanks and I am nominating every one of my friends that sees this to perform the 22 for 22 to honor our veteran brothers and sisters past, present, and especially, the ones who have passed on! Thanks for reading!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment