Monday, March 7, 2016

Minn Kota Maxxum Control Box Repair

Ok, so I had a little mishap on the water several weeks ago and I leaned on my already cracked trolling motor control box and finished her off completely. The whole bottom cracked and one of the gears even fell out so I had no pointer disc for directional control. I temporarily fixed it until the parts arrived with some zip ties. You could probably tell I used to be a mechanic, we could fix anything with duct tape, zip ties, a hammer, and a prybar!!!!! I ordered the parts and was eagerly waiting for them.

In the mean time I could not help myself and went fishing anyway. I know it was cold but I went to Braidwood Lake. It is a cooling lake and the the water temps were anywhere from 55 to 70 degrees so no ice. After the last time I went out, I was tired of my boat looking like a hoopty, so when I got home, I made the repair.

This repair was not difficult at all. I made a little vid so you could check that out. It is a bit rough, but I will be putting more into these vids to increase the detail and better audio quality.

The only thing that was a bit difficult was the piece that held the cables for the pedal travel. Most people take the cables off of the black circle and then just mark one cable the lower or the upper so that they can remember which was which. I did not do it this way and just left the cables attached and scribed a line on the black piece and then another on the shaft so I could line the pedal up with no issue. I had no trouble and it seems to be working great. I will find out the next time I get her out on the water. If you have any questions you could put a comment on youtube or respond here and I will help out with whatever I can. Don't forget to check out my facebook page adventures midwest and if you like the vid don't forget to subscribe to my channel. Thanks for reading and watching if you check out the video!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment